পঞ্চগড় জেলা

Panchagarh was a thana under Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal during the British rule. It was under Dinajpur district at the time of the partition of 1947 and was elevated to a district in 1984. It is a district of Rangpur division in the extreme northern part of Bangladesh, bounded on three sides by 288 km long Indian border. It has Darjeeling district on the north, Jalpaiguri and Kuchbihar districts on the north east, west Dinajpur and Purnea district on the west, Dinajpur and Thakurgaon districts on the south, Nilphamari district on the east. The existence of fifteen garhs (fortifications) has hitherto been traced in Panchagarh. The contribution of Panchagarh police at the liberation war is noteworthy. The Officer-in-Charge of Debiganj thana hoisted national flag of Bangladesh on 27 March at thana compound. He distributed arms and ammunitions among the guerrillas to intensify the fight against Pakistanis. He visited India to procure more arms for the freedom fighters and participated actively in a number of fierce fighting with the Pak-army. On 1 June 1971 Pakistani military brutally killed him near Brujerdanga in Debiganj thana. Panchagarh district has 5 police stations. They are Panchagarh sadar, Boda, Atowari, Tetulia and Debiganj.