Dinajpur was once a part of the ancient state of Pundrabardhwan. It was established as Dinajpur district in 1786. Its previous name was Ghoraghat district. It is located to the northern part of the country and falls under Rangpur division. It is bounded by Thakurgaon and Panchagarh districts in the north, Gaibandha and Joypurhat districts in the south, Nilphamari and Rangpur districts in the east, and the state of West Bengal, India in the west. It is a plain land district with rivers like Dhepa, Punarbhaba and Atrai. It is famous for its archeological resources. Thirteen police stations, five investigation centers, two immigration check posts and one in-service training center have comprised the district police administration. The police stations are Kotowali, Chirirbondor, Birol, Parbotipur, Birganj, Bochaganj, Kaharole, Khanshama, Fulbari, Birampur, Nababganj, Ghoraghat and Hakimpur. The police force in Dinajpur is working round the clock to maintain law and order, since this district is adjacent to the border.